1. This version of the CTRL eyewear has ballistic lenses, will it therefore also last longer than standard sunglasses?
No, compare an electronic calculator with an abacus. Even though the calculator (CTRL eyewear) is a lot faster than the old fashioned abacus (traditional sunglasses), the fact that it is electronically powered means there is more chance of malfunction than equipment without electronics.
2. Given that a lot of time and money has been invested with key testing partners is there still a chance of malfunction?
Yes, despite the rigorous test over the last decade the changes of product malfunctioning are there with a brand new disruptive technology. Scaling up a new technology has inherent risks. We will pursue to limit bottlenecks and potential causes of malfunctioning before shipping the product.
3. Are the smart glasses suitable for Prescription?
Yes, an easy add-on can be bought to put a set of prescription glasses behind the smart lenses. With this mini frame which can be mounted at the inside of the smart eyewear you can go to your local optician to equip it with the correct prescription glasses.
4. Will CTRL only stick to Smart Sunglasses?
No, the smart sunglasses are only a first step as the technology can be applied to many circumstances which benefit from orchestrating light. Think about ski goggles, motor helmets, car roofs, mirrors, windows, etc.
5. Do these smart sunglasses include GPS, average speed, and altitude meters?
No, not yet. We plan to launch a second edition with such features in the next 12-18 months.
6. Are there already apps to adjust the sensitivity of the lenses, gradually change tint?
No, not yet. Apps and version 2.0 including more shades of the tint will follow shortly. Right now the tint is either clear or dark (orange/black/blue lens).
7. What colors are available, can I customize?
You can pick the color of the frame and the color of the lens. After ordering you will get the options which are available in terms of frame (black & red or all black for the CTRL), see website Buy NOW. The lenses are either clear or orange/amber. The Andy Schleck Special Edition is chrome colored with blue/purple lenses.
8. What if the battery is empty?
As required by the U.S. Special Forces in case of no power the lenses must turn as clear as possible, the so called “fail-safe” feature. In case of an empty battery, simply charge via the micro USB cable which is in the package.
9. How can I put it on the Automatic Mode?
You can enter the Automatic mode by keeping the button pressed until the lens starts flickering. After this the light sensor will be activated. Exiting the Automatic made can be done by simply pressing the button again.
10. How long will the battery charge and last?
Charging the smart eyewear will take approximately an hour which will last for around 70 hours of operational use. The dark state is consuming voltage and will only be triggered when in bright sun. 70 hours of operational sun should last for more than a month in case of a daily 2 hour ride in the sun.
11. My company could provide relevant services to make the next version even smarter what next, how to cooperate?
You are welcome to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to revert. Do note that we receive many requests for cooperation and therefore we cannot promise we get back on each offer.
12. Could my company become a distributor or retailer?
We focus on online sales at the start. We are open to discuss distributorships with selected companies/retailers but will be very critical. Please do send an email to email@example.com.
13. Is there a Warranty?
Yes, we offer a 6 month warranty period. Even if the product is not as expected beyond this period we are open to start a dialogue to ensure you remain an ambassador of our smart products.
14. Will the CTRL ONE fit me, what is the size?
The lenses are a 7.5 Base. The curve nicely bends around the shape of the face limiting wind, sun, rain to get through via the sides. The size is made to fit most adults with a temple to temple distance of 5.31 inches/13.5 cm. The sides (temples) and the nose pad can be bent for an optimal fit.
15. What about Maintenance/Cleaning?
The eyewear needs to be treated with the utmost care as you would treat other battery powered products. Even though the lens of the CTRL ONE is stronger than most other lenses of sunglasses and it has been tested in harsh conditions, the lens is fitted at the inside with a thin Liquid Crystal film which can be damaged. For increasing the economic life of the eyewear we recommend treating with care and storing in the case in the powered off (clear) state.
16. Does the bulletproof/ballistic lens of the CTRL ONE stop a bullet?
Please do not try this at home (or any other place)! Even though the clear lens is designed to meet/exceed the ANSI Z87.1 requirements, we bear no responsibility for any impact related damage and users should take this feature only as comfort that the CTRL ONE scores high in terms of impact resilience.
17. What are the differences compared to Photochromic / Transition lenses?
Speed and control. Photocromic lenses are slow to change. It takes more or less half a minute to turn dark and often more than 5 minutes to turn clear again. Compare this to the less than 0.1 seconds to turn either way for CTRL Eyewear. Second major difference is the control. Photochromic lenses decide for you irrespective of the sensitivity of your eyes. CTRL Eyewear provides you the option to turn clear or dark depending on your preference. As no electronics are used for photochromic lenses, the life span can be expected to be longer than for the CTRL ONE next generation eyewear.
18. Is the CTRL ONE Polarized?
No, this version is not polarized. Polarized lenses have certain advantages and disadvantages. We will listen to feedback and decide if the next version will come as polarized or non-polarized.
19. When I ride on a tree lined street, the shade and sunlight alternate quickly, how fast do these glasses adjust, will they start “flickering”?
The sensor has a certain threshold. When you go in and out of the shade that will most likely not trigger the change as there will be still sufficient light, until you really go into a tunnel, or a part of the road with low light. The CTRL eyewear can also be put on the manual mode providing you control over the light or you can change the light threshold for changing from and to clear/dark.
20. Could they be used for driving a car, where also light could change fast when going under overpasses or tree lines or headlights from the opposite direction or sudden sun glare? How many times a minute/second can they switch?
Yes for sure, the CTRL ONE can be used for any activity where the light circumstances change. In less than 0.1 second the CTRL ONE can change as many times as the light changes. See also battery life.
21. Is the shade adjustment gradual and commensurate with the intensity of light or more like On-Off?
On-Off right now, but we are working on an intermediate state and even in the medium term a gradual changing version.
22. Is there a zero or viewing angle like LCD monitors, and does it work the same in extreme temperatures?
The viewing angle is the same as for conventional sunglasses. No major differences in extreme temperatures as Photochromics.
23. Is it a layered or coated glass or is it a uniform molecular pattern in any direction?
There is no glass, the frame and lenses are made from the same material as regular sunglasses plus a thin Liquid Crystal film and relevant electronics powering the tint change.
24. Are delays in delivery possible given that the technology is already tested and used?
Yes, despite the experience and the knowledgeable team in place, there could still be delays on the back of overwhelming demand or unforeseen production or supply hiccups.
25. Can I test or see the product in a location near me?
Not in many locations yet. We pursue to explain the product and its features as good as we can on the website and videos. Only in the medium term the CTRL ONE will become available offline in a store near you to see, touch & try.
26. How do I recharge the battery?
The kit comes with a usb to micro-usb cable that can run off any mobile phone adapter or computer port.
27. How do I know the charging is done?
The lens turn on when the device is plugged into charger. Once charged, the lens goes to the clearer tint state. This is the indication that the battery is charged and ready for use.
28. How do I adjust the automatic threshold level?
There is a factory setting built in for normal use conditions. However, the light sensitivity for each person and situation is different. Therefore, before you use the device on the automatic mode, it is best that you adjust the threshold for switching to the ambient lighting condition that you like and are comfortable with such as tunnels.
29. What does it mean Ballistic?
Ballistic is a term used for lenses that outperform impact performance of conventional lenses and eyewear. It does not mean it can stop a bullet. However, it does mean that you are getting a superior protection against debris such as pebbles etc.